Fuzzy Mummy Feet

Yes, there is hope for my heel... for a healed heel.   That's how I feel after seeing the podiatrist.

Did the massive mummy taping help?  I think so.  No, it was not a miracle cure.  My heel and ankle still hurt no matter what activity I was doing.  The fact that the tape on my left (and bad) foot felt way too tight didn't help.  I think I felt more pain from my skin pulling against adhesive than I do in my heel.  Seriously.  There were times when the skin on the bottom of my feet felt like it was on fire. 

So, why the hope?  Doctor Bland left me feeling that I could do something to fix my plantar fasciitis.  He spoke of stretching, night splints, and the possibility of orthotics.  He did not tell me to toss my running shoes and get a bike.  He did not tell me to give swimming a try.  He did not mention surgery... or giving up on running.

I was so encouraged by this!  I've been wearing my night splint... even though it's very uncomfortable.  I've been stretching and using The Stick to loosen up my calf muscle.  I endured the taped feet as long as I could.  And it has all helped.  Am I pain-free?  No.  Do I feel more mobility in that foot?  Yes.

I have hope.

Ahhhh... Sweet, Fuzzy Freedom!
I took my mummy feet off this afternoon.  I was supposed to keep the tape on for three days but I just could not do it.   My skin hurt too much.  It felt like I had shoes on that were two sizes too small.  The tape also got dirty very quickly.  Combine sticky foot tape with a long-haired cat and carpet, and what do you get?   Little kittens.  On your feet.  Furry kitten feet.  It's enough to make me wonder if I should shave my cat.  I had no idea how much she sheds!


What Next?
I have an appointment with Dr. Drained-of-all-Personality on Monday to evaluate whether or not I felt the tape helped.  I'm still unsure as to what to say.  I am so tired of spending money of "fixes" that don't work.  The last thing I want to do is spend a couple hundred bucks for a pair of orthotics that do not work.  As of right now, I'm leaning toward trying the orthotics.  We'll see how I feel about them by Monday.

Answers
To answer a few questions some of you asked on my last post...

  • Regarding the Barefoot / Vibram Five Fingers running, Dr. Blah was not impressed.  I did not expect  him to be.  He said that barefoot running was good... back when people only lived to the age of 35 (which was the most humorous thing the man said the whole time).  He makes a small point but I'm not sold either way.
  • Sorry... no picture of my mummified feet.  I didn't want to horrify all of you out in Bloggy Land.  But if you have read my blog for any length of time, you know that I don't let the lack of a photograph stop me from making a visual point.  
Behold, my latest masterpiece:

More Running to Come
I am already planning to run tomorrow. And I plan to join my running group on Saturday. I can't wait!!

Gratitude
As always, thank you Running Blogger Friends, for the encouraging words and well-wishes!!  I appreciate you all so much!

Comments

Michelle said…
Good luck on Monday! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Julie said…
Hi Sara,
I am glad to hear that you are feeling a little bit better...mummy feet and all:) I totally understand what the burning feet feel like...it sucks and I am sorry:) Good luck with your running group on Saturday!!
So happy it looks like Dr. No Personality can help! Good luck!
Tucker Goodrich said…
Sara, take a look at Harry's blog. He's managed to completely cure his PF, using barefoot running and some techniques your podiatrist might approve of.

His cure took a pretty short period of time, this isn't something you should be struggling with.

http://hhollines.blogspot.com/

He's also posted some lengthy explanation of his path to recovery on this news group:

http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches

This post and thread may be particularly helpful to you:

http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches/browse_thread/thread/7290f23e414481a6/ab98192d943b1f2a
April said…
Glad your starting to feel a little bit better...Praying you get a good report on monday!
ajh said…
I'm sure you are getting lots of mixed advice. But what worked well last summer for my PF was the chiropractor. I go to a husband/wife team when needed. She is a marathon runner and completely gets it. I think they are amazing.
Tyly said…
Love the picture!

Good luck with everything, and I'm glad you found a doctor (albeit a boring one) that may be able to help!
prashant said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
Hi
I am also running and I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now. There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other.
Why won’t you try swimming and bicycle? I did and I ended planning to take my first triathlon this summer!
Taping is still great for me. You tapped too strong that why your feet feels like burning. Did you hear about the duct tape guy? it's a good one - (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/96375/duct_tape_cured_my_plantar_fasciitis.html?cat=50)
Personally I found a very informative website in: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com
Take care & Good luck
Anonymous said…
Now, I'm no dr. heck I'm barely qualified as a 'runner' but everything i've read it sounds like you have the same thing i had a couple of years ago and it originated in my hip. weird, i know.
however, now that i do more hip stretching and then move to my lower legs/feet, i have not had any trouble.
of course, as i said, i really know nothing. :-)

Sending you lots of prayers for heal & answers.
Glenn Jones said…
Sara - good luck on Monday. Just remember - be honest with the doc. If you "think" it helped, then your answer should be "I think so, but I'm still disappointed" and then discuss it with him. Heck - show him this blog!
Irene said…
Sara, that's just awesome -- your fuzzy kitty feet. :)

I hope everything the doc is suggesting IS working! It does sound hopeful.

It looks like you've received a lot of great advice. I have no real good advice, but I sure hope you find some relief!
Kelly said…
I am so glad you are feeling hopeful. I definitely know how you feel about spending time and money trying to fix an injury and having one failure after another :(
Jill said…
I know of your Dr. Bland, he comes to Colorado and treats my sinus infections! Nevertheless, I'm glad he didn't diagnose anything catastrophic like swimming or no running so hoping you're healed soon and on the road running!! Barefoot, of course :).

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of my Favorite Things Giveaway & Happy Blog Birthday!

There's GOT to be a Better Way-- Part II

My Marathon