I was warned that running in Vibrams and/or barefoot will make you sore for a while. I'm here to vouch for that little bit of information. So far it seems like the good kind of sore... the kind you like to feel on your butt the day after doing squats.
I tried out a run yesterday. It was just a mile but that was enough for now! I felt slow and apprehensive but really good for the first half mile. The next quarter mile was pretty much downhill and I was going fast (fast for me, that is) and I still felt pretty good. I hit the proverbial "brick wall" at about three-quarters of mile and had to walk the rest of the way home.
Here's where I ran and how it felt:
- Sidewalk= Eh, boring... I don't like running on sidewalks
- Asphalt= Better... I like to feel the bumps on the soles of my feet
- These rocks you find in peoples' water-wise gardens= Bumpy, a little uncomfortable, and fun! I'm weird & like to feel rocks under my feet (a couple of my friends used to call me "Goat Girl"- I don't like goats & it wasn't very flattering, in my mind... so please don't call me that).
- Dirt= Ahhhh...sweet bliss
- Smashed Tequila Bottle= Managed to avoid that one! Guess I shouldn't drink that stuff while I run!
I felt sore. My heel hurt (but then it's never stopped hurting since the marathon). About 20 minutes after running, I noticed a strange sensation in my feet. They felt.... alive. That's the only way I can describe it. They were warm, flexible, and I could feel the blood flowing through them. I could tell they were happy... even if it was only for a little while, before the muscles decided to cause a rebellion (isn't that just typical of those hard-to-please body parts?!).
The Day After
I'm sore. Did I mention that?
I'm doing a 5K. This was the one that was going to allow me to redeem my lack of PR on for my last 5K. Now I'll be running it for fun... screw the PR because I doubt that's going to happen with these aching muscles.
I will be wearing my shoes. I can tell I'm not ready to race barefoot or in my Vibrams. All in due time, I guess. I just wish I weren't so impatient.
I have to go to bed now so I can get up early for the race. I'll be sure to take pictures! I plan to catch up on my bloggy friends tomorrow afternoon.
By the way, thanks so much for all the nice, supportive comments regarding my last two posts!! I appreciate you all so much!