Glad I Kept my Gym Membership!

Tangled up in Blue
I was feeling down this afternoon. Since I haven't been able to run, I've been unmotivated to do much of anything except stick around the house. That is so unlike me... usually I'm all over the place, doing fun things with my boys. I usually need to get out of the house and go hiking, walking, visit to the zoo, or anything but stay housebound.

This week has been hard because my first grader has been on spring break and he loves to torment his little brother. On top of that, my husband has been working late and is exhausted because he's been super busy, getting ready for our church's Easter services.

So, I have been pretty much isolated from adults for almost a week. I didn't realize how desperately I needed a break until I had to make an early morning trip to Starbuck's to replenish our coffee supply. It was bliss being by myself for that short time!

Running is MY Time
Running is my ME time! I miss having that time to myself... time to think, time to not think, time listen to my music, time to to see the sights, time to unwind, time to do the one thing I get to do by myself.

As I was washing the dishes (for what seemed like the umpteenth time today), it occurred to me that I need to get out. Get out and get some exercise. I had planned to work my upper body at home but decided a visit to the gym would be the best thing for my state of mind. And that is what I did... as soon as my husband got home.

I listened to my iPod (a Jillian Michaels podcast). I stretched. I lifted weights. Then I decided to get some non-running cardio work in.

This Machine is Just Right!
I felt like Goldie Locks in the house of the Three Bears. I tried three different machines until I found one I could use. The stationary bike was the only cardio machine that didn't bother my leg.

In the past, the bike was my last choice of workout machines. When I got on the bike this time, I was happy. It felt so good to get my legs moving again without pain! I was amazed at how quickly I was able to spin those pedals without feeling winded or tired. I give running the credit for that! I kept up a fast pace for 30 minutes and could have kept going but I needed to get home.

Sometimes It's Good to Forget
As part of our household budget tightening, I was going to cancel my gym membership about two months ago. I forgot. By the time I remembered, I had injured my leg/knee. I decided that maybe I ought to postpone cancelling until I figured out what was going on with me.

I am glad I didn't cancel it! I can see, now, why it is important to cross-train... to have other options. I can't wait to get back to running! While I wait, however, I will work to keep myself in cardiovascular shape. Once I can run again, I will mix up my training and strengthen those weak parts so I don't injure myself again.

OK... I must be tired. I just drifted off while writing this... Or maybe I'm just boring. Either way, good night my blogging runner friends!

Comments

Sarah said…
It is great that you could find something that didn't bother your injury. The bike is so much easier on the body than running.

I know what you mean about me time! My husband has off Thursday mornings and that has become my time to get out by myself. Yesterday I ended up at Starbucks and T.J.Maxx. It is just nice to enjoy some quiet. :)

Hope you are back to running soon!
So glad that you got out and found your machine match. Hang in there!! Love the "dishes for the umpteenth time." My hubby is a stay at home Dad so it is nice for me to hear the struggles of the household CEO. Have a great weekend!

Mel
tfh said…
I'm glad you got a bit of a break-- the working out and just being in a social, adult atmosphere of the gym sound like just what you needed! Great job on the bike.
Anonymous said…
Isn't the gym and the possibility to work out in different ways when you have an injury a true blessing? You can't run, but you can still improve!
Mel-2nd Chances said…
Sounds like hitting the gym was great! Cross-training is essential for me too... I used to be all about running, but I found out the hard way with the stress fractures that I needed to add different exercises in there :)
Glenn Jones said…
I'm glad that you were able to get out and get some alone time. I know what you mean about running being ME time. That is exactly how I use it too!
Felice Devine said…
Me time is so important!

Glad you kept the membership and found that the bike works for you.
Unknown said…
Sara, we've been traveling the past few days and - only today - I hadn't time to catch up on my reading. I'm so sorry to hear that you're still nursing an injury...but glad to hear that you're finding ways to keep moving.

At least, you can still keyboard, keeping us engaged with your efforts. Thanks!

Mark
I can relate to your comments, Sara. I feel better myself reading your blog. Thanks for the "lift!"

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of my Favorite Things Giveaway & Happy Blog Birthday!

There's GOT to be a Better Way-- Part II

My Marathon