Training Day One: Trial and Error

Monday Morning, January 19th
Training Day #1
Assignment: Run for 25 Minutes

I got up on Monday morning, ate half a Cliff Bar, drank a bottle of water and got ready for my fist official day of marathon training. I put on my new moisture-wicking shorts, moisture-wicking running bra, moisture-wicking shirt, and my-yes-moisture wicking socks.

In case you are wondering about moisture-wicking panties, I'll let you in on a little secret... most running shorts have built-in moisture-wicking undies.

Trial/Error #1

I put on my new, specially selected running shoes and noticed that they felt weird. The right shoe had what felt like a lump on the right side. What?! That wasn't there in the store! I took the shoe off, checked the insole and didn't discover anything wrong. I tried the shoe on again and the lump was still there! Ugh!!

I took the shoe off again and decided to inspect my new socks. That's when I noticed the little "L" on the sides of both of my socks. "L"? Are these Laverne's socks?? Then, I remembered that the other day, they had "R" on them. I'm not the brightest spark first thing in the morning and it slowly dawned on me that my fancy running socks had a left and a right. Cool.

I found a sock with an "R" on it, put it on my right foot, tried my right shoe again, and -voila!- problem solved. Whew!

Trial/Error #2

I started running... kept running... past the houses... past the horses... feeling great... enjoyed the quiet of the morning... decided to check my timer... I had been running for 18 minutes non-stop! I was impressed with myself. It sure was going fast!

I ran a little more... checked my timer again... expected to see twenty-something minutes... saw 14 minutes... Wait! 14 minutes?! How did that happen? Then I remembered- I set the timer to time down, not up! No wonder my 18 minutes went by so quickly, it was really only 12 minutes! That took some of the wind out of my sail and I decided to walk for a couple minutes.

In all, it was a great run! I didn't go for 25 minutes, like I was supposed to... I went for 30 minutes (due to the fact that I did not read the schedule very carefully). I went about 2 miles in that 30 minutes, running most of the time but walking some of the time.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."
-Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon Winner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of my Favorite Things Giveaway & Happy Blog Birthday!

There's GOT to be a Better Way-- Part II

Goals and Plans for 2010