Good Shoes- A Runner's Best Friend

I knew I would need a good pair of running shoes in order start the whole training process. I also knew that Road Runner Sports in San Diego would be a great place to get them. I have only heard positive things about the place.

What I didn't know, was how thorough the staff at Road Runner is when fitting people for shoes! I figured they would just measure my feet, give me some advice, and point me to the most expensive pair of running shoes in the store.

The first step (pun intended) in finding the right pair of shoes involves walking on some sort of scanner mat. The mat picks up an image of your foot and computerizes your pressure points, weight distribution, etc. This information helps the shoe person know where you might need the most foot support.

Those are my feet walking on the scanner mat.
Remind me to schedule a pedicure appointment.



This is how my feet look on the computer...
don't know what it all means, but they sure are colorful!



Part two involves a quick run on the treadmill. While running on the treadmill, a camera takes a video of how your feet move. When the shoe-person plays the video back, he or she can get even more information as to what kind of shoes will be best for your foot.


My feet in action.

After all this, the shoe-person measured my feet and explained that it's important to have a little bit of wiggle room, since my feet will swell during a long run. So, instead of my usual 6 size shoe, she recommended I try a size 7... or maybe a 6.5.

Road Runner Sports separates their shoe inventory into color-coded groups. Each color group represents shoes that benefit certain types of feet. My feet needed more stability and a higher arch. I needed shoes in the green section.

After a bit of a wait (the store was very crowded), a nice young man recommended three different pairs of shoes for me, based on the information gathered earlier. I was pleased that he did not try to sell me the most expensive shoes in the store. The three pairs of shoes varied in price, color, and cuteness.

The Asics 2140 (size 7) I decided on felt great on my feet! They have blueish and silverish racing stripes. Cost-wise, they were about what I was expecting to pay. I have been very happy with them, so far.

One of the best things about buying shoes through Road Runner Sports is their return policy. They give 60 days to try out the shoes they recommend for you. They encourage their customers to wear the shoes, run in them, make sure they're right. If not, bring them back! How awesome is that?!

In case you can't tell, I was very happy with my experience at Road Runner Sports!

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right."
-Henry Ford

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of my Favorite Things Giveaway & Happy Blog Birthday!

There's GOT to be a Better Way-- Part II

My Marathon