Gimme My Watch!

January 22, 2009
Training Day #3
Assignment: Run 35 minutes

Today started off a little less than ideal for running. My four year old has a cough that only seems to be around in the wee hours of the morning. At 5:15 a.m., I heard him coughing. And coughing. And coughing. I got up an hour before my alarm was set to go off in order to get my son some water and find a decent kid show for him to watch.

The thing is, I'm a night-person. It's is very difficult for me to get to bed before 11:00... and last night, bed-time for me was around midnight. So I really only got about 5 1/2 hours of sleep at the most. I was worried how this would affect my run this morning.

In spite of my lack of sleep, it was a good run! I was able to run much farther before having to stop and walk. I'm not sure how many miles I ran in my 35 minutes but I'm certain it was more than earlier in the week. Ah... sweet progress!

Did I mention before that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer early in the morning? Here's further proof: This morning, I decided to utilize the little zipper-pocket on the back of my running shorts to hold my cell phone. I figured I could just set the timer on my cell phone to keep track of my time.

I set the timer for 40 minutes in order to give myself time to kiss my little guy good-bye and warm up for a couple minutes. Part way through my run, I unzipped my cell phone to see how I was doing on my time. The darn thing still said 40 minutes... at least that's how it looked. Then I noticed that I had set the timer for 40 hours- not minutes. It was a struggle for my early-morning brain, but I was able to do a little math to figure out my time in minutes.

Don't worry, folks-- I hope to have this timer thing under control soon! I ordered a sports watch off of Amazon.com (along with a Nathan fuel-belt). I am still waiting for it to get here. I hope I get it soon... my brain is NOT a morning-organ!


"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made."
- Patti Sue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Few of my Favorite Things Giveaway & Happy Blog Birthday!

There's GOT to be a Better Way-- Part II

My Marathon