Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Young Life, Cut Short

I have been pretty quiet out here in BloggerLand lately.  I apologize for missing so many of your blogs posts... I really do enjoy reading about each of my Running Blogger Friends lives.

It's been a tough week for those of us in the San Diego and LA areas.  The disappearance of Chelsea King, the arrest of yet another out-of-prison sex offender, and the discovery of Chelsea's body has left many of us a bit shell-shocked. 

I know people all over the country are heart-broken by Chelsea's tragic death.  When it hits so close to home and with the disappearance of Amber Dubois still fresh in our hearts, this week has been an emotionally draining one.  I cannot even come close to understanding what the parents of these girls have been going through.  I don't ever want to know how someone deals with the loss of a child... especially in such a violent way.

Was the man arrested in the Chelsea King case the same man who is responsible for the disappearance of Amber Dubois?  For Amber's sake, I hope not.  Considering the fact that this monster had an address less than five miles away from where Amber went missing and the similarities of the victims, I can't help but think she and Chelsea met the same fate.  Again, I hope and pray this is not the case.  I do pray for closure for Amber's family, no matter what the truth may be.

I love Lake Hodges and the surrounding trails (where the gift of Chelsea was taken from the world) but I know I will never be able to run or hike in the area again without thinking of what happened to this beautiful girl.  Just as I can't run through my neighborhood without wondering where Amber is and looking for any sign of her.

There are wild California Poppies that grow around the Lake Hodges area.  They are dainty, yet strong.  They are beautiful, and free.  They seem to dance with the wind as it blows past their happy, orange petals.  I have learned that orange was Chelsea's favorite color so I like to think that she appreciated the simple beauty of these special wild flowers as she ran past them on her long runs out at the trails.  She reminds me of the California Poppy.  And the California Poppy will always remind me of her.  I know that sounds corny since I've never met her... but the link has been made in my mind and that's OK with me.

Rest in peace, Chelsea King.  You had your whole future ahead of you and it was a bright one.  I pray that the light you blessed others with will continue to shine.  I pray for justice.  I pray for change.  I pray for your loving, amazing family.  You will never be forgotten.

17 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

It's disgusting and heartbreaking! But what is probably the worst thing, he should have been in jail longer than the 6 years! The psychiatrist said he had no remorse for the 13 year old he molested! How can we as a justice system, let this kind of person out after only 6 years? Repulsive!

I can't imagine what heartbreak Chelsea's family must be going thru, and Amber's parents must be living the same nightmare! And that is what it is! A parents worse nightmare!

Rest in Peace Chelsea! Amber I hope you have not suffered the same fate. My thoughts and prayers are with both families!

Jen said...

Thank you for continuing to bring awareness about this. Being on the East Coast it isn't getting the press it should be.

I want to live in a world where I have more freedoms than are written in our laws.... all they wanted to do is go for a run!

This is so heartbreaking!!!!

Bethany + Ryan said...

Ugh, so sad and disgusting and disturbing, unfair, etc etc. I personally have zero tolerance when it comes to criminals and crime. Drugs, theft..that kind of thing I think a second chance is reasonable but what this man did the first time in inexcuseable and should have granted him automatic and never-ending expulsion from our society. And to think that people warned he would be a danger if he was let out and he was STILL let out?!? Everyone's first thought is about the criminal, and its mine too, but what about the judge that let this man walk free?? Technically he/she is responsible too bc if he/she/the state/whoever, kept that monster in jail non of this would have happened. Ugh, so upsetting and so sad. Poor chelsea, I was praying for her safe return and really hoping for the best. I hope they will figure out what happened to poor Amber too. Chelsea's poor parents :'-(. I can't imagine how sad the mood must be out in ur area :-( thanks for the update, eventho its heartbreaking.

ajh said...

I have been thinking about this since you first shared it. How awful on so many levels. The unimaginable has happened to that family. It is terrible that one can't do a wonderful thing for yourself like running without fearing for your life. I know I would be freaked out if it was where I frequently run. Take care.

Teamarcia said...

My heart just breaks for her family and for the whole community really. It's getting tons of press here because Chelsea lived in IL until 2007. Beautiful angel.

Molly said...

I first heard of this on your blog, and I was so sad to hear the outcome. I just don't understand how evil can walk along with us. I wish that poor girl and her family peace.

Irene said...

Thanks, Sara. I've been having a hard time putting this tragic event into words, which is why I haven't blogged about it yet.

Anna said...

My heart aches for these families. This is such a sad and preventable situation, and there is just so much about the disgusting, bad nature in some people that we will never understand on this earth. I pray that that beautiful girl is running to her heart's content in Heaven now.

H Love said...

Well said...Amen.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

So heartbreaking :(

Fair Weather Runner said...

so tragic and horrible. but i think it's so amazing you ARE blogging about it. awareness is key. i was actually running on a TM in the gym over lunch the other day when a story about her popped on the news, so, so sad.

Bonnie said...

beautifully told Sara! Chelsea King a California poppy in my heart too :)

Meg said...

I totally agree with you about Lake Hodges. It was always so fun to go out there with friends to run the trails and hills but I don't know what I think now...it's almost too sad for me now. Those poppies are pretty though.

Anne said...

I read that her death is having an impact on local runners, who are playing it safe now. We had a rape at lunchtime a few years ago where I typically run and to this date, I get squeamish when I run in that area, which has been improved to help prevent such crimes.

Kelly said...

It's so scary to hear this story (I have seen it on the news too). It's so tricky because of course you want to give people a second chance, but obviously this guy never should've been given one! I hope somehow Amber is found alive and well, but like you said- it does not seem likely right now.

Jessie said...

I sadly had to move recently from San Diego to Riverside County. I remember, though, when this story broke. So very awful...

five finger vibrams said...

I agree with your statements. you can have a good see in five finger vibrams. five finger vibrams also make you satisfied.