Friday, February 26, 2010

Another Missing Girl

On February 13th, I posted a blog about the missing girl from my neighborhood named Amber Dubois. Many of my blogger friends expressed concerns and prayers for her safe return.

Now there is another girl missing. This girl is from a town a few miles to the south of Escondido. Her name is Chelsea King- a senior in high school and cross country team member. Her plan was to do a long run along the trails in the Lake Hodges area. She hasn't been seen since Thursday afternoon. She was out running in the middle of the day!

This has been on my heart all day. Not only is another lovely teenage girl missing, she is missing from an area I have run several times, myself. I have so many emotions brewing... sadness for her family, anger, and helplessness.

I have run those trails. I often run them alone. Not anymore. The police found her parked car at a local park, which is near the start of the trails. Her car was locked and still held her wallet, street clothes, and cell phone.

I don't know why she didn't take her cell phone on her run... perhaps because some of the area has no reception. Maybe she had nowhere to comfortably put it. Maybe she felt safe enough. It doesn't really matter, now. Personally, I don't think a cell phone would be helpful if she was abducted. I carry mine in case I fall and hurt myself, not because it makes me feel safer from predators.

I mention abduction, but I pray that isn't what happened to her.

My running group was supposed to do a trail run in the area tomorrow. It has been moved to another location out of respect to the family and in order to not interfere with searches. My group is also hoping to assist in the search, if they need volunteers. I have an appointment tomorrow but I'm hoping I will be able to join the group of volunteers later in the day.

Please, pray for Chelsea. Pray that she gets home safely.

Here is the link to the story, if you'd like to read it:

Missing Poway Teen

21 comments:

Southbaygirl said...

OMG how absolutely heartbreaking! I want to bring Velcro down and help! I can't even imagine how her parents are handling this!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

THIS IS SOOOO SAD AND SCARY! Oh wow, I hope that she and the other runner are safe, and I can't blame you for having those thoughts. Scary that women aren't safe to be out running during the day without fearing everything! I'm with ya, I carry my cell more in the event that I hurt myself. Keep us posted ;(

Erica said...

I became a follower of your blog yesterday, because I found you very inspiring!
that aside I saw this story from the running skirt twins on face book and have been very upset about it! I hope to god they find her! I prayed and thought about her last night, I hope she returns safely!

Anne said...

Most cell phones have a GPS in them that is automatic unless you manually turn it off. So, if she was abducted and somehow kept her phone, she could be tracked through cell phone tower relays.

I saw this morning she also was told by her coach to never run alone. Like you, I run those trails and always felt safe because of their familiarity (and that park feels comforting too). No more.

ajh said...

This is so tragic. I hope she is safely found. Stay safe yourself. What a horrible feeling that where you usually run is so not okay. I worry about this anyway.

Libby said...

Oh wow... That is so scary! My thoughts and prayers are with her family and everyone around.

Julie said...

Hi Srah,
I just got chills when reading your post!! This is so sad and makes me think about my own trail runs that I am flying solo. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

Bethany + Ryan said...

Wow, so scary and so sad!! I hope for the best and that this story has a happy ending. Running thru neighborhoods alone is okay but please sara, promise us you will not venture into the trails by yourself!! Even if you have run there 100 times before. So sad :-( please keep us posted on what happens. I haven't watched the news lately but I'm not sure if this story has made it to the east coast yet. So upsetting and heart breaking.

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

This is so sad. The families of these girls must be in such agony.

I run alone all the time. I wish the world were different but people do bad things. I pray that these situations have (somehow) a happy ending.

May we all be wiser and safer.

Irene said...

My heart sank when I heard the news of yet another young girl missing. One of my running buddies at track club this morning mentioned that she lives in the area where Chelsea lives, and this has shaken the community. One of the speculations my friend has is that Chelsea may have been abducted near her car, which is why her cell phone and iPOd were in the car. I'm so heartbroken for her family. I hope she is found safe.

Glenn Jones said...

This is alarming. I hope that something breaks soon.

Meg said...

THis is just so upsetting. I was actually thinking about you too because I've seen your pictures of this area and I'm glad to hear that you aren't running there alone anymore. Please email me if there is anything I can do or if our community of runners can do anything. I'll be praying for her and her family.

H Love said...

So sad....praying! Everyone staff safe and hug your kiddos today!

Bob (Downtown Runner) said...

I'll be praying Sara. I used to live in Mira Mesa and had friends that went to Poway High, before moving out here. My friends and family that still live out there are praying and getting the word out on their facebooks, etc.

Runners: take precautions when you run. Take a cell phone. Go with a group whenever possible.

* Tyly * said...

i'm so sorry this is all happening in your area. prayers coming your way!

oh, my poor eyebrows. it involves me being 15, afraid of the pain of tweezing, and a razor. do i really need to tell the rest of the story?! lol!!!

RunnerDude said...

Thanks so much for sharing the information about the two missing girls. I have both of them in my thoughts and hoping for the best. It's such a shame how we always have to be on our guard, never really feeling safe no matter what time of day we run. Guess a good rule of thumb is to run with a partner, but that's not always possible.

X-Country2 said...

That's so scary and heartbreaking. My prayers are with her.

Aka Alice said...

It just stinks that we live in a world where we have to think about the dangers of running alone, but we do... DramaGirl is 15. I warn her regularly about walking/being anywhere alone.

We are all praying that she is found safe and unharmed. I can't even imagine what her parents are going through. I don't even want to...

Aka Alice said...

It just stinks that we live in a world where we have to think about the dangers of running alone, but we do... DramaGirl is 15. I warn her regularly about walking/being anywhere alone.

We are all praying that she is found safe and unharmed. I can't even imagine what her parents are going through. I don't even want to...

momof3 said...

this is really sad. I wish I had something more profound to say, but it is just sad.

zbsports said...

I like the picture it looks like that she really a tough girl. I like the post too it is entertaining.